Henfield Joggers Club Runs with COVID-19 measures for Club Runs
John Stoddart is the COVID19 Coordinator for Henfield Joggers and has completed the required risk assessments (see separate file), and now created a framework that enables us to return to Club runs. Just as background (and confidence) Johns professional history is as a Manager of Health Clubs and Fitness Facilities for well over a decade as well as work in a Health & Safety advisory role for companies such as Virgin Active and David Lloyd.
Below is a summary of the main control measures and guidelines he recommended we put in place that members need to be aware of:
- Running groups should be no larger than 6 individuals. And those individuals must maintain adequate social distancing at all times (before, during AND after the run). More than 1 group of 6 may meet for an organised run but they must set off at least 5 minutes apart and thought should be given to setting the faster group off first so groups do not meet on the route. We must be aware of not just safety but also the reputational impact on Henfield Joggers as an organisation if people see large groups running around the local area.
- A booking system will be provided by Henfield Joggers to control group size and also comply with necessary Trace & Trace regulations. Members must use the booking system if they want to attend an organised Henfield Joggers run.
- Routes will be planned in advance and will be designed to avoid pinch points and gates/styles. Obviously this is not 100% avoidable given the rural nature of most routes locally and members should be aware of these pinch points in advance and not let the group ‘bunch up’. Social distancing must be maintained at all times during the run both for the safety of members and also for the local perception of Henfield Joggers. Routes will be sent out prior to the run by the organising committee.
- Runs should start and finish at a known and familiar outdoor location. It is advised the Henfield Leisure centre car park is used whenever possible.
- Face coverings should be worn when socialising or conversing with other runners before and/or after the activity. Face coverings do not need to be worn whilst running.
- It is advised that members bring a small bottle of anti-bacterial gel (or similar) with them for use before and after touching any gates or styles that may be on route. Additionally a first aid kit will be brought by at least one member of the group. A first aid kit will be provided by Henfield Joggers.